The Bump Style Guide
Top 10 Fashion Tips
by Julia Beck
When it comes to dressing your bump, there is most definitely a style guide. You want to choose pieces that work with you and your lifestyle. Combine a realistic assessment of your needs (and wants!) with high quality fabric and function. Remember—these clothes will need to grow with you! Focus on clothes you love to wear, and wear them often. The value in a maternity wardrobe comes from choosing carefully. The fun comes in knowing that you look and feel fantastic.
Here are my top 10 commandments for building a better maternity wardrobe:
- Buy items that both appeal and will go the distance. Remember, you get what you pay for. Poorly constructed garments will gape rather than hug your super feminine figure, a mistake any way you look at it! What to check out: noppies overbelly maternity pant hugs in all the right places
- Infuse trend wisely. Build from well-constructed basics and then add in a little extra pop! What to check out: Teal Asian Kimono Top by Meet Me in Miami will infuse a little hip.
- Flatter yourself! Hone in on your best features and show them off. What to check out: Isabel Oliver’s 2 in 1 Top is always flattering.
- Seek out color and texture…hiding out in black is no fun. What to check out: Cadeau Maternity Argyle Knit Dress is a pattern sure to please.
- Shop around your schedule. If special occasion wear is called for, be sure to find pieces with range. Consider a versatile and flattering dress that can dress up or down. What to check out: Molly Chelsea Dress
- Layer in shrugs, wraps, and cardies to finish off any look. This will also extend the life of your best pieces. What to check out: Inca Textiles Kimono Sweater for a feminine, classic look.
- Consider your ‘glow’ another accessory and use it to the hilt! Use details such as ruching and layering to help you comfortably show off your bump. What to check out: Isabel Oliver’s Bracelet Portrait Top will gently hug your curves.
- Shop early. Sizing up is a poor strategy and a wasted investment. Instead, start to purchase maternity fashion when your body demands it! Create a versatile wardrobe that will take you from early pregnancy all the way through the “fourth trimester.” What to check out: Cadeau Long Sleeve Wrap Dress is an ideal choice to take you where you are going.
- Look for key items that multi-task. Convertible dresses that turn into a top or a skirt are a good bet. A tunic that can be worn as a dress will take you far. What to check out: Japanese Weekend’s Reversible Maternity Skirt is convertible chic.
- Let your own personal style shine through. Choose pieces that feel like you and that instill both comfort and confidence. What to check out: I love the Tie Front Cardigan from Due Maternity.
Julia Beck is the founder of Forty Weeks and always has bumps and baby on the brain! She is known for her uncanny ability to spot trends from Melrose and Madison Avenue to Main Street. Visit FortyWeeks.com for more info.